Followers

Friday, October 11, 2019

SUNGAI CHOH (14) : Once Upon A Time | Psychological Elements

Once Upon A Time
(Confused With Rules "Do's and Don'ts")



My Sister Una
My Mom's Friends
My Cousin Ali
Road To Kg. Ulu
From The Main Road

Because I lived far inland, I always missed fresh sea fish in my daily meal. That's why kembung rebus and canned sardines were my favourite dishes then. Not to mention kicap, sambal tempoyak and belacan bacang, to stimulate my appetites to bits. Maybe it's because of the kicap that my skin was a bit darker than my elder brother,  Budin. That's what my mom always said. Sometimes there were psychological elements that prevented me from obsessing over food.  However, as a child, I had to follow Bangkulu rules. As they said, playing for a long time in the rain would cause scales to grow on the legs. Even eating  more fish  than necessary would only encourage the worms to grow big in the tummy. Maybe it's the polite way to prevent greed in my eating habits. Sometimes I got confused with rules "do's and don'ts". However, this was how most Bangkulu mothers taught  good morals and behaviors  in their children's daily life.


My Best Friend
My Brother's Friends
My Best Comrade
Memory Of Kg. Ulu
"Tempat Busek" In Memory

When talking about fish I could not avoid telling about fishing as my hobby. Yet only a few fishing spots were to be my choice. Only two places of interest in Kampung Sungai Choh  were the focus of anglers. Namely sungai Choh and sungai Mat Cuit. By then sungai Mat Cuit was quite a small river. It flowed from "pancuran" Hilir Terendam. Then winded its way downstream through a swamp of rumbia trees into a tunnel under the road of Hilir Terendam. The water then fell into a deep pool, where all kind of fish gathered. Sometimes my friends and I went further inland.  So we walked along the river bank  that flowed through rubber plantation and then winded its way through the marshes by the forests. We even waded the marshes. Not fearing anything. We were really savage then. Sometimes we didn't care about any injury or any pain. 


Gua Cerita, Langkawi
Sungai Buaya
Kg. Baru,Sungai Choh
Kg Ulu, Sungai Choh
Houses Along The Road

I usually went with my friends, Kali and his brother Jamal, especially after rainfall. When the river was overflowed all kind of fish swam out of the pit to find food. That was the bread and butter of the flood. We were really excited then. Sometimes we couldn't  wait to catch all the fish in the river. Even though sometimes the catch was few, and yet enough to finish a plate of rice. Anyway that was my earning. Though not much, but "arok nian". Though not much, but "arok nian". At least I helped my mother in her kitchen's expenditure. Yet nowadays so many pools offer all kind of fish to catch. No wading across the marsh and no fighting with mosquitos or leeches. Even you can have a cigarette while listening to dangdut songs or chit-chatting with your friends over mobile. However you have to pay. Of course no free service and no free entertainment nowadays.










No comments:

Post a Comment